Thursday, August 24, 2006

My adventure in the Great Court

Thursday would have been a typical, unexciting day if I hadn't been to the Great Court. I don't normally go out of the Catalyst Centre except for lunch or tea break. But today is special.

Thanks to my laziness and unwell feeling, I decided to take a walk with Jo to his weekly physical training and dropped by the Great Court in the hope to finish a chapter in a book. The weather is wonderfull with sunshine and warm temperature. I found a spot near a leafless tree (not dead but probably still hibernating) so I sat down and started to read. I think it must have been only a few minutes before there was a voice of a girl next to me saying 'Excuse me'. I looked up and there she was, about a feet away and smiling at me. She looked a bit reluctant at first but then decided to ask if she could talk to me. Hm.. I had no problem, of course, but just wanted to be a little bit difficult so I asked what she would like to talk to me about (although I think I might have already had a rough idea by that time. =P)

Well, she didn't really answer but just said that she would like to talk to people and make new friends. I think it was a bit unsual but I admire her gut of coming to a stranger to start a conversation (and also looking an excuse for not having to read my text book =P) so I invited her to sit down. At the biginning the conversation was just a typical 'where you are from', 'what you do'. I could roughly guess that she is from Singapore since I lived there for three years and quite familiar with the unique style of English that was spoken there.

Then the fun started, she asked about my experience in Australian and my social activities. I think that might have been the point where I was so sure about what it was leading to. I felt a bit bad that I might not fulfil the criteria of her ideal target group since I appear not to have negative experience that make me absolutely hate living here. It was almost the total opposite actually. I told her how I love being here although it is so different from home and I don't have that many friends as I did elsewhere. But then it was more about the quality, not so much of quantity. I had some bad experience with bad people and landlord trying to rip me off but funy enough, they are not Australians but those migrating from other countries. And I always found the way to deal with those things so that bad people didn't have an easy time walking over me, and they actually didn't or rather couldn't. It was tough but that's how life is and I'm glad to experience and get through it.

Well, this lady's experience of coming here must have been quite different. So she started sharing with me how she found the strength to go through all the difficulties through God and how people from her husband's church group really help her out in time of need. It was a nice thing to here and quite interesting how someone belief so strongly in something that she felt the need of sharing it to other people. I admire the good, constructive things that each individual believes. But I guess I would also respect people's decision of choosing what they believe too.

The conversation went on for about an hour. She gave me her email address and contacts. I gave her mine just in case she would like to talk and do other things that not neccessarily have to do with religion. I always like to make new friends and it would be nice if that can happen without any agenda behind it.

So that's my litte adventure outside of my usual habitat (in front of a computer in the office). It wasn't so much about physical action but more about spiritual and mental aspect of my life. It actually gave me a chance to remember and realize the experience, personality and attitudes I have gained that otherwise would have been overlooked. I almost forgot how much I like the way I am, the decision I made, and a lot of silly things I did defying all the strategic guidelines and trends. Even though I am still far away from being an ideal me or a successful, money-making career woman, I really feel proud of it, somehow. I guess that's just what defines me, who I am which makes me where I am! Hehehehe, a bit confusing but that's me! =P

0 Comments:

Post a Comment

<< Home