Saturday, April 07, 2007

Bangkok to Phuket to Trang

I had a smooth ride with the night coach from Southern Bus Terminal in Bangkok to Phuket. The bus left at 6.30 pm, took a half an hour break for a small meal at midnight and reach Phuket bus terminal at about 7 am on the next day. My dad had already been waiting to pick me up which was very nice. He drove from Trang to Phuket since the night before and stayed in the hotel nearby so he could bring to the university which is located out of Phuket Town.

I had an interview at 10 am so that left me plenty of time to get ready. The interview went very smoothly, my dad even get invited to sit in and talked to the interviewers who are the deans of the faculty. They are really friendly and seem keen to have me in their team. Now it’s up to the scholarship office to settle the paper work and the official procedure. I hope I will get to work there as there were also other governmental offices in Bangkok that accepted my application and would put me to the job without an interview (which I found a bit odd). Anyway, I guess they are desperate to get people to work for the government because people with high degrees often go elsewhere since the governmental workers get pretty low salary. That’s quite sad for the country but it’s how the reality is.

After the interview my dad drove me around Phuket to different beaches. Of course, we drove by Patong Beach where more than half of the shops and people are not Thai. Personally I don’t like this place because it’s too crowded and too much development (not in the positive way either) but it can be a good experience to see it anyway. We didn’t stop there but went to the quieter beach. That would be at east side of the island. We had a stop at Phrom Thep Cape at noon. My dad had a nap while I walked around taking some photos. It’s a cape at the southern end of Phuket and famous for sunset.

A road along Patong Beach


Am at Prom Thep Cape


A beach on the eastern side of Phuket


Then we head of to Ao Nang in Krabi. We get there at about 7 pm and all the street shops, pubs and restaurant have all been running in full display. It’s pretty similar to Patong but at least there are not that many big buildings and the layout of the shops are more organised and blending in with the natural surrounding. I hope it stays like that for long time. We didn’t have dinner at Ao Nang but continue driving toward Trang. My dad let me drive for a bit, that was my first time driving an automatic car. I managed not to crash into anything although there were two times that someone just crossed the road in the dark right in front of our car. We stopped at food store in town for a late night dinner at about 11 pm and my mom came to meet us there. So I was finally with my family after 4 days of travelling around.

Part of a market in Trang where my mom brought me to buy some breakfast


Life back at home is… interesting. Some are in positive ways while some are not quite how I would want it. Well, at least I quickly get back into riding a motorcycle and can get around without much trouble (except some issues with the direction). Being able to do things on my own help me get rid of some unpleasant feelings sometimes. I hope everyone is having a great weekend and Happy Easter! =)

3 Comments:

At 8:31 PM, Blogger TaLaY said...

all da best with ur future career na ja ;P

 
At 3:12 PM, Blogger Where I Am said...

Thanks ja. Good luck to you too na. =)

 
At 2:07 AM, Anonymous Anonymous said...

welcom to Thailand!!!
Good Luck for getting your job na ja.
when i come back to Thailand,I wish I have a chance to see u na!!
It is for a long time to see and talk to u
miss u jung!!!!

nok

 

Post a Comment

<< Home