Tuesday, May 08, 2007

First weekend in Phuket

My first weekend in Phuket alone happened to be a long weekend as Monday was a substitute holiday for Coronation day which was actually on Saturday. I decided not to go home to Trang because one of my favourite 'seniors', the term I use for Thai friends who are older than me, happened to be in Phuket for holiday. It was good catching up with P' Yok who then became my savior from having to be stuck in the flat alone (my flatmate took off to travel since Friday evening).

The weather was amazingly good for both Saturday and Sunday despite the heavy, continuous rain on previous days. So to celebrate such luck with the weather, I let myself be talked into trying some water sports. We went to the water sport park near Kathu Waterfall which is a medium size (man-made?) pond with sling running in the middle. I started with knee board which is not too bad except when it comes to turning a corner, I always fell into the water. It was exciting enough trying this kind of thing for the first time but it got even more thrilling when the guy who is in charge if releasing the sling force me into trying the ski. I was really scared but thanks to a lot of pressure the same guy kept giving me, I was able to take off from the platform without diving into the water. But then again, I did fall into the water every time the corner came. After about 1 and a half hour, my arms got no more strength to hold on to the handle and that was it for the water sport for me for the day. Too bad that I didn't have any photos to post as my camera was misbehaving again (post effect from the lake incident).

It was still early in the evening so we went to Patong beach to have a look around. I got to go into the water again, this time without hurting myself. The waves were small and it was just perfect for floating in the water looking at the blue sky. It was the best weekend I could ever imagine for the first week in a new town.

0 Comments:

Post a Comment

<< Home