Thursday, November 02, 2006

Submitting thesis!

Oh dear, yesterday was a full-on thrilling experience with submitting my thesis for me. I got up at 4 am and worked almost non-stop (occasional visits to the bathroom) until 6 pm. Dearest Jo was the great helping hand and supporter in making sure I drank and ate my meal. (I almost got in trouble when he knew that I barely ate anything during the whole day.) We went to uni at 10 pm to send the document to my supervisor via email. I still had issuea with Endnote and page number which took up a lot of time to fix. In the end I had to just leave certain things. Then the PDF file conversion took longer that it usually did and produced the file that is 1.5 time bigger in size than the original one. Oh my, I almost cried by the time I got the file to send off to my supervisor. And it was 2 minutes past midnight on the 2nd of November. So officially, I was late as the deadline was on the 1st. That also demoralised me a bit too. We reached home at about 12.30 am. Jo was sweet as he didn't complain at all about me taking so long to finish things off! I really appreciate that, man. So yeah, it's officially over, finally.

Well, I still can't slack though because there is one more assignment that I have to get done before the 10th of November. But it's gonna be much more relaxing this time. I like assignments that are open for creativity.

So today I went to the city and picked up my visa label which is going to expire soon but I still need it for applying for visa to New Zealand. Well, my journey started a bit late as the City Cat took forever to come. And by the time I walked to the building where the immigration office it, the fire alarm went off and everyone in the building were coming out. Great, I had to wait around without knowing how long it would be before I could get my stuuf. So I took a walk to the Riverside area hoping to find a nice cosy spot to rest while waiting. I ended up getting a nice bench overlooking the river to sit down and ate 3 sushi rolls I bought earlier. It was good except the strong wind that keep blowing hair into my mouth and eyes. Finally I walked through the City Botanic Garden and dropped by Hungry Jack for a 40 cent ice cream. It was very good. It didn't take long to get my visa label despite a large number of people waiting in the visa office. I went into the big building where my favourite store, Crazy Clark's, is, bought a can of chilled coke and sat down in front of Woolworths supermarket. The view of city people in working cloths of various styles is quite enjoyable so I sat there for about half an hour. I got some cute stuffs and a sunglass for good price so I was really happy. It's then time to go home, or rather, to university. It was a nice day amid this stressful period of assignment deadlines. Although I have been having a headache since morning, I still enjoy my day a lot. That's also largely contributed to the nice post filled with Halloween candy that was sent to me from my lovely host mom. I got it this morning and that really made my day a lot better than how it started. Thank you so much, Kathy.

Ok, now it's time to tackle that other assignment. Will update more soon.

6 Comments:

At 12:51 PM, Blogger Emily and Tom said...

Sounds like a tough couple of days at UQ. Congratulations on getting the thesis submitted. Now go and relax.

Am, you would like the 100yen stores here in Japan. They are like a slightly better looking version of Crazy Clarkes, but everything in the store is 105 yen (must have been inflation). You can buy all kinds of stuff for 105 yen - chopstick packs, snacks, bowls, tea pots, fake flowers, toys.

Tom

 
At 7:07 AM, Anonymous Anonymous said...

I'm really enjoying keeping up with what's going on in your life. We miss you a lot. I still can't believe I'm coming to Australia and you won't be there. I guess that just means I'll have to come to Thailand soon...
Miss and love you,
Hannah

 
At 12:35 PM, Blogger Where I Am said...

Tom, thanks for the info about the 100 yen store. I will definitely check that out if I ever get to Japan. Hehe.

Han, thank you for such a sweet message. I miss you too. Yeah, you definitely should come to Thailand. Well, I'm sure we'll get to meet somewhere sometime soon. It looks like you are becoming a world traveller hearing all the trips you have done so far (Kathy told me). So I'll be looking out for when our travel plans match. =)

 
At 9:21 PM, Blogger samsam said...

Its 105 yen because there is a 5% government tax. I asked a shopper there once.

 
At 7:42 AM, Anonymous Anonymous said...

Hallo Am,
herzlichen Glückwunsch zum Beenden Deiner Arbeit...und vor allem, wie wir hörten: zu der guten Note !!!
Mach weiter so
Peter und Bebb

 
At 3:27 PM, Blogger Where I Am said...

Dear Bebb und Peter
Vielen Dank für die comment. =)

 

Post a Comment

<< Home