Monday, September 24, 2012

Dear Grandma

Today I just came back from visiting my maternal grandmother at a hospital in Bangkok. It's been a while since I last saw her. Unfortunately, it's often when things are almost too late that we realised how important someone or something is, until we are about to lose them.

My grandma is a very strong woman. She had nine children and raised eight of them as she lost one. There are so many ways to describe her. But the most beautiful thing about her is, she cares about other people more than herself. I was there in the ICU room where she laid with the oxygen mask and so many tubes in and out of her body but the first thing she said to us who were visiting her was asking if we were tired of standing. Then later when she got a hold of my hand, she tried to give me a hand massage. She did not at all act like someone whom the doctor said was so week she might not have more than three months to live. She is the same person she was when she were younger, she always took care of everyon else. That's when I realised who I got the genes of giving from. Although this might not be a technically correct term to call 'genes of giving', I'd like to think it's something that runs in her family, from her mother, to her, to my mom and to me.

I'm glad I got to see her today and I'm glad that she is my grandma because she has given me the most valuable treasure a person can have. It's the treasure of good heart and 'thamma' and the wisdom that the most important thing in our life is not 'what we get' but 'what we give'.
With all my love to my grandma,

0 Comments:

Post a Comment

<< Home